|Date: 6/8/2008 3:21:25 AM|
NEWS FROM GRANDVIEW SPEEDWAY
(One-third-mile, banked clay NASCAR sanctioned speedway)
Presenting Saturday night NASCAR 358 Modifieds and Late Models plus a variety of special attractions in 2008
PROMOTER: Bruce Rogers @ 610.754.7688
MEDIA CONTACT: Ernie Saxton Communications, Inc.
215.752.7797 - office
215.752.1518 - fax
267.934.7286 - cell
Esaxton144@aol.com - e-mail
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE PLEASE WITH OUR THANKS
Saturday, June 14th, 7:30 p.m. Brett Thayer Night presented by BPG Racing featuring URC Sprints and NASCAR 358 Modifieds.
Saturday, June 21st, 7:30 p.m. Banes Roofing Night featuring NASCAR 358 Modifieds and Late Models
Saturday, June 28th, 7:30 p.m. Whelen NASCAR Night featuring NASCAR 358 Modifieds and Late Models.
STRUNK, KELLNER AND STOUDT GET WINS ON SATURDAY NIGHT AT GRANDVIEW SPEEDWAY
BECHTELSVILLE, PA June 8, 2008 . . . The tow truck operators should take a bow after the accident plagued Saturday night tripleheader stock car racing show at Grandview Speedway. All three features were marred by a number of cautions and red flags.
Six time track Modified champion Jeff Strunk was able to win his first of the season topping a stellar field of 28-starters in the 30-lap Craftsman Tools NASCAR Whelen Modified stock car feature race. In the 20-lap NASCAR Late Model feature rained out the previous Saturday Mike Kellner got his third win of the season and in the regularly scheduled 20-lapper for Late Models the win went to Randy Stoudt for the second time this season.
Veteran racer Ryan Beltz put his No. 221 Modified in front of the field at the drop of the green. No less than three cautions dotted the early laps of the feature with Duane Howard, a contender for the track title, making a couple of trips to the pits.
On a third lap restart Bruce Hirther rolled his racer on the main straightaway after getting tangled up with several others. The multi-car collision brought out the red flag. There were no injuries.
A single file restart got the feature rolling again with Ryan Beltz, who has never won a feature race, leading the pack while Tommy Scheetz Jr. applied the pressure.
At the ten lap marker Beltz had Scheetz Jr., Terry Meitzler, Stewart Friesen and Jeff Strunk coming from 15th starting spot to contend with.
At midway in the 30-lapper it was looking more like Beltz was going to be able to get his first career feature win but just three laps later Strunk was able to charge on the outside, running close to the boiler plate guard rail, to get the lead.
Once in front Strunk pretty much had things his way while Beltz and Friesen battled for the runnerup finishing spot.
With 20-laps in the record book championship contender Duane Howard had already taken his BPG Racing entry to the pits done for the night.
When the checkered flag fell Strunk, who calls Mohnton home, was well in front with the Gold Rush Custom Trailers No. 126 while Stewart Friesen (Niagara on the Lake, Canada) finished second for his strongest effort of the season. Ryan Beltz (Pottstown) managed to hold on for third spot giving him his best effort of the season. Terry Meitzler (Kutztown) finished fourth followed by Tommy Scheetz Jr. (Boyertown).
“It was good to get the monkey off my back,” said Strunk in victory lane referring to this being just his first win of the season. “At least I beat Earnhardt, Stewart and Gordon to their first wins of the season.”
Strunk also remembered Don Marks, the track’s late photographer who passed away a couple months back.
In the first 20-lapper for Late Models, a rained out feature from the previous week, Ed Trimbur was able to lead from the outside pole position. A couple of cautions slowed the pace of the event in the early laps with Ed Trimbur able to hold on to the front spot.
On the sixth lap Eric Kauffman took a wild barrel roll through turn two. Racing was delayed for 45 minutes as first aid personnel, working with the Jaws of Like, free him from his wrecked Late Model. Kauffman was conscious and talking with medical personnel when he was removed to a local hospital by a medical helicopter. His condition was not available as this was being written.
Mike Kellner was able to jump in front of the pack when the green flag came out with Ed Trimbur slipping to second followed by Brian Shuey.
With just five laps to go Brian Shuey, the defending Late Model champion, was putting heavy pressure on young Kellner.
When the checkered flag was display Kellner (Lansdale) had been able to hold off the strong challenge of Brian Shuey (Shoemakersville) followed by Chuck Schutz (Pottstown), Ed Trimbur (Boyertown) and Bryon Sipe (Leesport).
The Late Model finale, a 20 lapper with six cautions in the first six laps, had Bill Henning looking for his first win in a few seasons. The Lansdale racer set the pace until the 11th lap when Randy Stoudt charged to the front. At the same time Ed Trimbur who had challenged Henning for the lead a couple of times had mechanical problems forcing him out of action.
The final nine laps, again dotted by cautions, saw past champion Chuck Schutz putting some pressure on the leader but not able to get by to take the lead. At the finish Stoudt had his Merkel Rebar No. 118 in front of the pack to gain his second win of the season.
The victory came on Stoudt’s son Niklas’ 6th birthday. Second spot went to Schutz (Pottstown) followed by Jon Kellner Sr. (Lansdale), four time past champion Dean Stoudt (East Greenville) and Mark Malcolm (Schwenksville).
Qualifying heat races for the NASCAR Whelen All American Series Modifieds were won by Ryan Beltz, Stewart Friesen, Terry Meitzler and Todd Marburger who returned to action after a week’s absence due to his father undergoing an emergency operation. The consolation races for the Modifieds were won by Meme DeSantis in a charge from the back of the starting field and Kerry Kratz.
In the first qualifying heat Shawn Horning crashed into the third turn boiler plate wall and was treated by the first aid crew. His injuries were not considered serious.
There were no qualifying events for the NASCAR Late Models with all the Late Models still able to race being allowed to start in the second 20 lap feature making for a 28 car starting field.
The Cornerstone Auto Sales Hard Charger awards, worth $50 to each driver, went to Ron Kline in the rained out 20-lap Late Model feature as he came from 18th to 6th. In the second 20-lap Late Model feature the award went to Danny Snyder starting 20th and finishing 6th. In the Craftsman Tools Modified feature Jeff Strunk started 15th and finished 1st gaining 14 spots and the Hard Charger award.
Race fan Brett Thayer is having the June 14th night of racing at Grandview Speedway named after him courtesy of BPG Racing. Racing action will include the URC Sprints and NASCAR 358 Modifieds with a 7:30 pm starting time.
Coming up on Saturday, June 21st is Banes Roofing Night which will include the NASCAR 358 Modifieds and Late Models.
Admission for regular Saturday nights is $13 for adults, $5 for youngsters 6 thru 11 and under 6 are admitted free with a paying adult. There is always free parking on the speedway grounds and fans are invited to enjoy the wide array of concessions available at the track or are free to bring their food and refreshments.
Grandview Speedway is located on Passmore Road, just off Route 100, Bechtelsville, PA, 10 miles north of Pottstown. For information check in at www.grandviewspeedway.com or telephone 610.754.7688.
30-LAP CRAFTSMAN TOOLS NIGHT NASCAR 358 MODIFIED STOCK CAR FEATURE FINISH: 1. Jeff Strunk 2. Stewart Friesen 3. Ryan Beltz 4. Terry Meitzler 5. Tommy Scheetz Jr. 6. Ryan Godown 7. Meme DeSantis 8. Kerry Kratz 9. Danny Erb 10. Jason Hamilton 11. Doug Manmiller 12. Shawn Reimert 13. John Tschudy 14. Sean Merkel 15. Rick Schaffer 16. Jayson Smythe 17. Brad Missimer DID NOT FINISH: 18. Danny Hieber 19. Duane Howard 20. Mike Gular 21. Brad Brightbill 22. Glen Owens 23. Cliff Quinn 24. Tom Umbenhauer 25. Kevin Hirthler 26. Bruce Hirthler 27. Jon Kellner Jr. 28. Todd Marburger
20-LAP CRAFTSMAN TOOLS NIGHT NASCAR LATE MODEL STOCK CAR FEATURE FINISH: 1. Randy Stoudt 2. Chuck Schutz 3. Jon Kellner Sr. 4. Dean Stoudt 5. Mark Malcolm 6. Danny Snyder 7. Ron Kline 8. Mike Kellner 9. Kyle Merkel 10. Bryon Sipe 11. Greg Hoffmaster 12. Eric Snoke 13. Buddy Wharton 14. Chad Rae 15. Matt Carter 16. John Giesler DID NOT FINISH: 17. Dennis Peiper 18. Bill Henning 19. Ed Trimbur 20. Bobby Wyatt 21. Wayne Pfeil Jr. 22. Harry Henning III 23. Rick Todorow 24. Ron Coverly 25. John Favinger 26. Brian Shuey 27. Jamie Undercoffler 28. Jud Hendrickson.
20-LAP ARNOLD’S FUN CENTER NIGHT NASCAR LATE MODEL STOCK CAR FEATURE FINISH (event was rained out on May 31st): 1. Mike Kellner 2. Brian Shuey 3. Chuck Schutz 4. Ed Trimbur 5. Bryon Sipe 6. Ron Kline 7. Randy Stoudt 8. Bill Henning 9. John Giesler 10. Buddy Wharton 11. Jamie Undercoffler 12. Dean Stoudt 13. Greg Hoffmaster 14. Danny Snyder 15. Johnny Favinger 16. Ron Coverly 17. Jon Kellner Sr. 18. Eric Snoke DID NOT FINISH: 19. Rick Todorow 20. Kyle Merkel 21. Harry Henning III 22. Matt Carter 23. Mark Malcolm 24. Eric Kauffman 25. Wayne Pfeil.
UNOFFICIAL NASCAR POINT STANDINGS AFTER CONCLUSION OF RACING ON SATURDAY, JUNE 7, 2008
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR MODIFIEDS AS OF JUNE 7, 2008
1. Jeff Strunk, Mohnton, PA #126 2343*
2. Duane Howard, Oley, PA #4 2158***
3. Doug Manmiller, Wyomissing, PA #14 2094
4. Ryan Godown, Ringoes, NJ #R1 1948
5. Stewart Friesen, Niagara Falls, NY #357 1919
6. Mike Gular, Harleysville, PA #8 1902*
7. Danny Erb, Boyertown, PA #44 1816
8. Terry Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #81 1735*
9. Kerry Kratz, Bechtelsville, PA #87 1725
10. Craig VonDohren, Oley, PA #1C 1665**
11. Meme DeSantis, Temple, PA #88D 1562
12. Kevin Hirthler, Green Lane, PA #117 1473
13. Shawn Reimert, Oley, PA #41 1309
14. Jason Hamilton, Erwinna, PA #16 1213
15. Tommy Sheetz Jr., Boyertown, PA #37X 1207
16. Danny Heiber, Penndel, PA #107 1150
17. Brad Brightbill, Mohnton, PA #19X 1143
18. Sean Merkel, Gilbertsville, PA #118 1073
19. Tom Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #19 1040
20. Jon Kellner Jr., Lansdale, PA #67 935
21. John Tschudy, Birdsboro, PA #2 912
22. Jason Smythe, Oley, PA #71 907
23. Ryan Grim, Laury’s Station, PA #17 891
24. Don Norris, Douglassville, PA #976 881
25. Cliff Quinn, Coopersburg, PA #69NEWS 874
26. John Willman, Birdsboro, PA #16W 844
27. Ryan Beltz, Boyertown, PA #221 811
28. Brad Missimer, Bechtelsville, PA #327 784
29. Todd Smith, Hatfield, PA #39 736
30. Todd Marburger, Boyertown, PA #18 689
31. Mark Kratz, Chalfont, PA #M1 600
32. Glenn Owens, Hatfield, PA #73 509
33. Mark Fehr, Barto, PA #55 456
34. Mike Laise, Pottstown, PA #15 437
35. Chris Esposito, Green Lane, PA #31 383
36. Troy Wink, Mohrsville, PA #27 363
37. Bobby Gunther Walsh, Allentown, PA #1 347
38. Kurt Spotts, Pennsburg, PA #70 341
39. Bruce Hirthler, Green Lane, PA #9 279
40. Jeremy Banos, Oley, PA #3 273
41. Rick Schaeffer, Woxall, PA 198
42. Brian Lilick, King of Prussia, PA #Z28 197
43. Vince Gaglarado, Kenhorst, PA #66 173
44. Chris Gambler, Whitehall, PA #35 170
45. Joe Masiado, Easton, PA #43 119
46. Steve, Young, Coatesville, PA #76 110
47. Troy Gibson, Hatfield, PA #49 80
48. Shawn Horning 70
49. Bill Gensler, Fleetwood, PA #57 60
50. Robbie Boyer, Schwenksville, PA #17X 50
51. Matt Howsare, #5H 20
Carroll Hine III 20
53. Jeff Sechrist, #318 10
Mark Sokol, 21A 10
Greg Hummelhanz 10
Terry Reimert 10
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR LATE MODELS AS OF JUNE 7, 2008
1. Chuck Schutz, Pottstown, PA #ONE 2515
2. Randy Stoudt, Pottstown, PA #118 2312**
3. Ron Kline, Salfordville, PA #3 2238*
4. Mike Kellner, Lansdale, PA #57 2197***
5. Brian Shuey, Shoemakersville, PA #5X 2174***
6. Jon Kellner Sr., Lansdale, PA #85AM 2065
7. Bryon Sipe, Leesport, PA #33 1945
8. Dean Stoudt, East Greenville, PA #5 1863
9. Buddy Wharton, Birdsboro, PA #7B 1835
10. Rick Todorow, Quakertown, PA #93 1823
11. John Giesler, Aston, PA #3X 1790
12. Wayne Pfeil Jr., Mohnton, PA #72 1651
13. Kyle Merkel, Gilbertsville, PA #117 1594
14. Ed Trimbur, Birdsboro, PA #707 1563
15. Bill Henning, Lansdale, PA #80 1469
16. Mark Malcolm, Hatfield, PA #55 1257
17. Danny Snyder, Green Lane, PA #4S 1214
18. Eric Snoke, #96/33X 1210
19. Jamie Undercoffler, Pennsburg, PA #1J 1171
20. Eric Kauffman, #307 1137
21. Jonathan Favinger, Coatesville, PA #18 1086
22. Greg Hoffmaster, Pottstown, PA #69 1041
23. Bobby Wyatt, Reading, PA #14 957
24. Matt Carter, Souderton, PA #79 822
25. Chad Rea, Reading, PA #8/21 772
26. Harry Henning III, Lansdale, PA #81 533
27. Dennis Pieper, Salford, PA #409 471
28. Steve Wilson, #13 277
29. Jud Hendrickson, #39 241
30. Sean Merkel, Gilbertsville, PA #117 239
31. Ron Coverly 223
* denotes feature win