|Date: 6/1/2008 10:04:15 AM|
NEWS FROM GRANDVIEW SPEEDWAY
(One-third-mile, banked clay NASCAR sanctioned speedway)
Presenting Saturday night NASCAR 358 Modifieds and Late Models plus a variety of special attractions in 2008
PROMOTER: Bruce Rogers @ 610.754.7688
MEDIA CONTACT: Ernie Saxton Communications, Inc.
215.752.7797 - office
215.752.1518 - fax
267.934.7286 - cell
Esaxton144@aol.com - e-mail
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE PLEASE WITH OUR THANKS
Tuesday, June 3, 7:30 p.m. United States Auto Club wingless sprint cars and the American Racing Drivers Club wingless midgets.
Saturday, June 7, 7:30 p.m. Craftsman Tools Night featuring the NASCAR Modifieds and Late Models. The Late Models will run the rained out 20-lap feature from May 31st as the first event of the night.
Saturday, June 14, 7:30 p.m. BPG Racing/Fan Name Night features the NASCAR Modifieds, URC Sprints and 600 Modifieds.
SHORT STORY: HAMILTON WINS RAIN SHORTENED NASCAR MODIFIED FEATURE AT GRANDVIEW, VONDOHREN TOPS IN SPEEDSTR MAIN EVENT
Bechtelsville, PA June 1, 2008 . . . Jason Hamilton had the biggest weekend of his racing career as he won the rain shortened 25-lap NASCAR 358 Modified feature race at Grandview Speedway on Saturday night after winning the 358 Modified feature at Big Diamond Raceway the night before.
Craig VonDohren, driving a SpeedSTR for the first time, was able to win the 15-lap Arnold’s Family Fun Center SpeedSTR feature.
The 20-lap feature for Late Models was rained out and rescheduled as the first event for the Saturday, June 7th Craftsman Tools Night which will include a full show of Modifieds and Late Models.
Sean Merkel led the Modified feature for the first 12 laps before giving up the top spot to Hamilton on a caution restart. With 25-laps in the record book, five to go, a violent rainstorm caused the track lighting to dim and the red flag to come out bringing all the cars to a stop. The race was declared official giving the Erwinna, PA driver his second win in as many nights. Kerry Kratz finished second followed by Jeff Strunk, Ryan Godown and Tom Umbenhauer.
The first time appearance of the SpeedSTRS saw VonDohren come from the last row to take the lead midway in the 15-lap feature and ride to victory. Second spot went to Billy VanInwegan Jr. followed by Nick Pecko, Willy Evernham and Erin Crocker.
The Late Models and Modifieds are featured in the Craftsman Tools doubleheader set for Saturday, June 7th at 7:30 pm with the rained out 20-lap Late Model feature kicking off the night of racing action.
Tuesday, June 3, 7:30 p.m. the United States Auto Club wingless sprints and American Racing Drivers Club wingless midgets will be in action.
JASON HAMILTON, CRAIG VONDOHREN AND MA NATURE WIN FEATURES AT GRANDVIEW SPEEDWAY ON SATURDAY NIGHT
BECHTELSVILLE, PA June 1, 2008 . . . Jason Hamilton had one of those weekends that most racers just dream about. The Erwinna, PA racer won the 25-lap Arnold’s Family Fun Center NASCAR Whelen All American Series Modified feature on Saturday night at Grandview Speedway. The night before he won the 25-lap 358 Modified feature at Big Diamond Raceway making for a clean sweep weekend for the Flurer Machine No.16 Modified team.
Craig VonDohren (Oley) climbed into a Richie Tobias SpeedSTR, similar to a midget with a spoiler, for the first time and won the 15-lap SpeedSTR feature race.
Ma Nature put on a tremendous display of rain, wind, lightning and thunder, wiping out the 20-lap Late Model feature. That event will be run first on Saturday night, June 7th as part of the Craftsman Tools Night doubleheader that will also feature a full program of NASCAR 358 Modifieds and Late Models starting at 7:30 p.m.
Mike Laise put his E & S Productions sponsored No. 15 on the pole but his lead was short lived as Sean Merkel charged to the front early in the first lap.
Through five laps Merkel set the pace with Laise and Jason Hamilton following. By the seventh circuit of the one-third-mile banked clay oval Jason Hamilton was putting pressure on the leader.
A caution on the 12th circuit bunched the field up and on the restart from starter Ray Kemp, Hamilton was able to charge to the front.
Kerry Kratz, coming from eighth spot, moved into the runner-up position on the 16th lap with Ryan Godown showing a lot of strength with the No. R1 now in third.
Defending NASCAR Modified champion Jeff Strunk came from 15th starting spot and at 20-laps was running fourth and having quite a battle with Godown.
With 25-laps in the record book Ma Nature decided to put on a display of rain, thunder and lightning along with strong winds that dimmed the track lights and brought the entire field to a quick and safe stop.
With the heavy rains continuing and the front straightaway turned into Lake Grandview, promoter Bruce Rogers was forced to call the NASCAR 358 Modified feature complete giving the win to Jason Hamilton for his second victory of the weekend. Second spot went to Kerry Kratz (Bechtelsville), who was closing in on the leader when the race was halted. Jeff Strunk (Mohnton) came from 15th starting spot to finish third and take back the point lead by just four points over Duane Howard in the chase for the lucrative NASCAR and Grandview Speedway Modified point titles. Ryan Godown (Ringoes, NJ) claimed fourth in one of his strongest showings of the season. Tom Umbenhauer (Richland) grabbed a well earned fifth place finish.
The 15-lap SpeedSTRS feature had Billy VanInwegan Jr. grabbing the early lead. Doug Rose also held the lead for a few laps. NASCAR Sprint Cup car owner Ray Evernham, making his first run on dirt, hit the fourth turn guardrail forcing him out of competition early.
Craig VonDohren, a six time track champion, came from the last row to grab the lead with two thirds of the main event completed and rode to a fairly easy win. VonDohren referred to the new SpeedSTRS created by Richie Tobias as “twitchy but fun to race.”
Second spot went to Billy VanInwegan, Jr. followed by Nick Pecko, Willy Evernham and NASCAR/ARCA racer Erin Crocker.
Qualifying heats for the SpeedSTRS went to Billy VanInwegan Jr. and Nick Pecko.
In the Modified qualifiers wins were earned by Doug Manmiller, coming from last to first, Sean Merkel, Shawn Reimert and Kerry Kratz. The consolation races went to Don Norris Jr. and Duane Howard.
Heat race victories in the Late Models went to Dean Stoudt, Brian Shuey and Chuck Schutz. The consolation was won by Greg Hoffmaster.
The Cornerstone Auto Sales Hard Charger award, worth $50 to the driver, went to Jeff Strunk coming from 15th starting spot to third in the final finish.
The United States Auto Club wingless sprints and the American Racing Drivers Club wingless midgets will be featured in a doubleheader Thunder on the Hill Bob Miller-Bruce Rogers promotion on Tuesday, June 3rd at 7:30 p.m. Topping the entry list are such names as Fast Freddie Rahmer, Billy Pauch Sr. and Lucas Wolfe.
Coming up on Saturday, June 7th Craftsman Tools Night will feature the NASCAR 358 Modifieds and Late Models. The Late Models will kick off the show with their rained out 20-lapper from Saturday. Both divisions will then run a full series of qualifying events topped off by 28 cars starting in the 30-lap Modified feature and 24 cars taking the green in the 20-lap Late Model feature.
Admission for Saturday night is $13 for adults, $5 for youngsters 6 thru 11 and under 6 are admitted free with a paying adult. There is always free parking on the speedway grounds and fans are invited to enjoy the wide array of concessions available at the track or are free to bring their food and refreshments.
Grandview Speedway is located on Passmore Road, just off Route 100, Bechtelsville, PA, 10 miles north of Pottstown. For information check in at www.grandviewspeedway.com or telephone 610.754.7688.
25-LAP ARNOLD’S FUN CENTER NASCAR 358 MODIFIED STOCK CAR FEATURE FINISH: 1. Jason Hamilton 2. Kerry Kratz 3. Jeff Strunk 4. Ryan Godown 5. Tom Umbenhauer 6. Sean Merkel 7. Stewart Friesen 8. Craig VonDohren 9. Doug Manmiller 10. Duane Howard 11. Brad Brightbill 12. Danny Hieber 13. Mike Gular 14. John Willman 15. Kevin Hirthler 16. John Tschudy 17. Don Norris Jr. 18. Shawn Reimert 19. Danny Erb 20. Mike Laise 21. Cliff Quinn 22. Jon Kellner Jr. 23. Jason Smythe 24. Tommy Scheetz Jr. 25. Terry Meitzler 26. Glenn Owens 27. Ryan Grim 28. Rick Schaffer.
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR GRANDVIEW SPEEDWAY AFTER COMPLETION OF EVENTS ON SATURDAY, MAY 31ST.
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR MODIFIEDS AS OF MAY 31, 2008
1. Jeff Strunk, Mohnton, PA #126 2034
2. Duane Howard, Oley, PA #4 2030***
3. Doug Manmiller, Wyomissing, PA #14 1887
4. Mike Gular, Harleysville, PA #8 1783*
5. Ryan Godown, Ringoes, NJ #R1 1689
6. Craig VonDohren, Oley, PA #1C 1665**
7. Stewart Friesen, Niagara Falls, NY #357 1619
8. Danny Erb, Boyertown, PA #44 1588
9. Kerry Kratz, Bechtelsville, PA #87 1490
10. Terry Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #81 1455*
11. Kevin Hirthler, Green Lane, PA #117 1404
12. Meme DeSantis, Temple, PA #88D 1317
13. Shawn Reimert, Oley, PA #41 1113
14. Brad Brightbill, Mohnton, PA #19X 1039
15. Danny Heiber, Penndel, PA #107 1012
16. Jason Hamilton, Erwinna, PA #16 999
17. Tom Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #19 967
18. Tommy Sheetz Jr., Boyertown, PA #37X 939
19. Jon Kellner Jr., Lansdale, PA #67 892
20. Sean Merkel, Gilbertsville, PA #118 891
21. Ryan Grim, Laury’s Station, PA #17 881
22. Don Norris, Douglassville, PA #976 871
23. John Willman, Birdsboro, PA #16W 834
24. Cliff Quinn, Coopersburg, PA #69NEWS 787
25. Jason Smythe, Oley, PA #71 755
26. Todd Smith, Hatfield, PA #39 726
27. John Tschudy, Birdsboro, PA #2 725
28. Todd Marburger, Boyertown, PA #18 649
29. Brad Missimer, Bechtelsville, PA #327 638
30. Mark Kratz, Chalfont, PA #M1 590
31. Ryan Beltz, Boyertown, PA #221 521
32. Mark Fehr, Barto, PA #55 446
33. Mike Laise, Pottstown, PA #15 427
34. Glenn Owens, Hatfield, PA #73 412
35. Chris Esposito, Green Lane, PA #31 373
36. Troy Wink, Mohrsville, PA #27 353
37. Bobby Gunther Walsh, Allentown, PA #1 337
38. Kurt Spotts, Pennsburg, PA #70 331
39. Jeremy Banos, Oley, PA #3 263
40. Bruce Hirthler, Green Lane, PA #9 223
41. Brian Lilick, King of Prussia, PA #Z28 197
42. Vince Gaglarado, Kenhorst, PA #66 173
43. Chris Gambler, Whitehall, PA #35 160
44. Joe Masiado, Easton, PA #43 119
45. Steve, Young, Coatesville, PA #76 110
46. Troy Gibson, Hatfield, PA #49 70
47. Shawn Horning 60
48. Robbie Boyer, Schwenksville, PA #17X 50
Bill Gensler, Fleetwood, PA #57 50
50. Rick Schaeffer, Woxall, PA 32
51. Matt Howsare, #5H 20
52. Jeff Sechrist, #318 10
Mark Sokol, 21A 10
Greg Hummelhanz 10
Terry Reimert 10
Carroll Hine III 10
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR LATE MODELS AS OF MAY 24, 2008
1. Chuck Schutz, Pottstown, PA #ONE 1935
2. Brian Shuey, Shoemakersville, PA #5X 1824***
3. Randy Stoudt, Pottstown, PA #118 1763*
4. Ron Kline, Salfordville, PA #3 1739*
5. Mike Kellner, Lansdale, PA #57 1658**
6. Jon Kellner Sr., Lansdale, PA #85AM 1639
7. Rick Todorow, Quakertown, PA #93 1616
8. Wayne Pfeil Jr., Mohnton, PA #72 1484
9. Bryon Sipe, Leesport, PA #33 1468
10. Buddy Wharton, Birdsboro, PA #7B 1445
11. John Giesler, Aston, PA #3X 1414
12. Dean Stoudt, East Greenville, PA #5 1393
13. Kyle Merkel, Gilbertsville, PA #117 1256
14. Ed Trimbur, Birdsboro, PA #707 1165
15. Bill Henning, Lansdale, PA #80 1101
16. Eric Kauffman, #307 1036
17. Jamie Undercoffler, Pennsburg, PA #1J 929
18. Mark Malcolm, Hatfield, PA #55 912
19. Eric Snoke, #96/33X 885
20. Jonathan Favinger, Coatesville, PA #18 861
21. Bobby Wyatt, Reading, PA #14 847
22. Danny Snyder, Green Lane, PA #4S 788
23. Greg Hoffmaster, Pottstown, PA #69 657
24. Chad Rea, Reading, PA #8/21 602
25. Matt Carter, Souderton, PA #79 571
26. Harry Henning III, Lansdale, PA #81 342
27. Dennis Pieper, Salford, PA #409 321
28. Steve Wilson, #13 277
28. Sean Merkel, Gilbertsville, PA #117 239
30. Jud Hendrickson, #39 211
* denotes feature win